Pages

Wednesday 17 August 2016

Updates: life, The Sympathiser, the restaurant

Here I am again.
Last week, some time after my trip to Greece, I finished reading The Sympathiser, and should have written a review or something by now. Sadly, the problem with taking so long to read a book that isn't so thick is that once you're finally done with it, you no longer feel the urge to write anything, and just want to move on with your life. What can I say? On the 1 hand, the sense of responsibility keeps nagging me- as a Vietnamese who feels strongly about literature and about the war and who has an advantage over many Vietnamese people in that she can read the Pulitzer-winning book in the original instead of waiting for a translation that perhaps would never come, I should write a few words. On the other hand, I've been changing from a watcher to a doer, having fun, enjoying life, trying out fascinating stuff and experimenting, and then analysing myself as I've just discovered another side of myself. At the moment it appears a bit pointless to get worked up about a book when I just prefer to embrace my joie de vivre philosophy instead (which, I know, is merely a fancy way of saying I'm just frivolous and lazy).
Perhaps some day I'll write. The verdict: I'm not impressed.
To get back to the restaurant, I keep in touch with a few former co-workers to know that the ex-boss aka the bitch still talks of me constantly, and would never forget me because she has owned a restaurant for 28 years and nobody has ever dared to write a word, so on and so forth. She should have known better than to mess with me, I thought, if she couldn't handle something so light, let's go hardcore. But now, except for a few headaches, I'm generally in such a good mood that I don't bother- after all, who cares really, I didn't hear it, she didn't say to my face.
I'm feeling great.
Here's some Louis Armstrong:



2 comments:

  1. i saw Louis in San Francisco once, when i was about 12; my parents were big fans and took me to the club, which they let me into in spite of the law; i got a front row seat and watched him and his handkerchief play trumpet. i liked it. he seemed like a very nice person; he smiled at me once... probably that's one reason i became a musician myself, although i was never talented enough to make a career out of it... glad you're letting go and enjoying stuff... excelsior! (that's from a James Thurber drawing portraying an intent looking person ascending a mountain and carrying a flag)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Di, I hope the restaurant troubles evaporate and all of your future days be filled with more pleasant experiences and plenty of smiles. Music does indeed have charms to soothe the savage breast. Enjoy Satchmo! Onward!

    ReplyDelete

Be not afraid, gentle readers! Share your thoughts!
(Make sure to save your text before hitting publish, in case your comment gets buried in the attic, never to be seen again).